Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Drowning in Apples, continued...


My dear, sweet Red had a rough day at work yesterday and I thought that I would treat him with an apple pie (in addition to a good hearty dinner).  Also, I’m trying to use up the abundance of apples in the house.  I won’t lie, I purchased Pillsbury pie dough.  First of all, I had a coupon and there was a rock bottom sale on them.  Second of all, as I bow my head in shame, pie crust is a source of anxiety for me.  My grandmother creates a pie crust that is beyond description.  Its flaky goodness envelops whichever harvest season filling happens to be coming out of the oven.  It dances on your tongue, begging you to have just one more slice.  She passed this talent on to my mom, and I, at 28 years old, have been avoiding this lesson like the chicken pox.  Why?  Who knows.  Probably because I hate being told what to do.  What does one of my friends call it?  A strong case of defiance disorder.  So in an effort to make my honey a treat, I cheated.  I promised my mom that while she was laid up with surgery this winter, that I would go down and take care of her, if, in return, she would show me how to make pie crust.  Cringe.  So, nothing too exciting to write about here, but I wanted to post my picture.  For the filling, I use the recipe right out of my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. 


On another note, in an effort to get the most out of my food purchasing and preparing efforts, I was wondering what I could do with all of my apple peels and cores left over from baking these delicious fruity confections.  I spent some time searching the internet and it seems that some people save up cores and peels in the freezer until they have about 10 lbs, then use it to make apple jelly.  While I have never made any jellies, jams, preserves, etc - I think it may be a future Insomniac Mom adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment